At this meeting we started rebuilding our compost pile for the spring. We got more logs and branches out of the ditch, and more tree trimming done. Half the fence along the North side of the property is now clear of the old wire and debris, and the posts have been dug out and straightened, ready for the new wire. Our logo has been painted on our new sign, so now we just have to set a post and get a hanger for it. We set dates for upcoming projects, and discussed tree planting, fence repairs, bed edging, compost bins, and other topics. A load of deciduous tree mulch was delivered, and another of evergreen mulch. We will be using the evergreen mulch immediately for paths, and mixing the deciduous tree mulch together with manure to create a hot compost pile, since this will kill any borers present in the chips (if any.)
At this meeting, we planted cabbage, kale, broccoli, and Swiss chard in our greenhouse, under row cover material. We formed the sheet mulch bed into a sort of basin, to retain water and keep seeds from washing out. Hopefully we will be transplanting them into the main bed in mid april.
We also took down a lot of the old fencing and straightened out the posts, so that they would be ready to receive the new wire mesh we will be installing. We will be waiting to put up the new wire until we have finished removing some trees, so that falling limbs will not crush the fence.
There was an old run in horse shed on the urban farm property. Due to age and improper construction, it was beginning to fall apart, and was, in any case, too small for our purposes. So we decided to pull it down, salvage what lumber we could, and build a new shed.
Here are some pictures of the project.
The shed as it was, a few months ago.
The walls starting to come down. We still have to remove all the stuff that had been stored in the shed over the years.
The roof collapses after being disconnected from the back posts.
After this point, we used a vehicle to pull down the front posts which the roof was leaning on, dropping it to the ground. (Unfortunately, we did not get a picture of this step.)
At the next meeting (March 23rd) we broke up and cleared away the roof and other debris, and dug out the posts.
At these meetings we also eliminated poison hemlock from the areas where we will be working, and tidied up the property. Our greenhouse vent arm seems to be working well, and lettuce is growing inside. As you can see, there was still some snow on the ground from the most recent fall, but the temperatures inside the greenhouse were warm and steamy, triggering the vent’s arm to pop open. At the next meeting we hope to plant Brassicas and other cool weather crops in the greenhouse for transplanting to the main gardens in April.
At this work day we removed and cut back cotton wood trees along the ditch and fence line. We want to get this done before our new fence is build. The fence project will start at the next meeting. We will use the sticks from the trees to make a large hugelkulture, and we will use sections of the trunks to stabilize a slope.
We discussed our fruit trees, which we will be ordering soon. And we found that it is difficult keeping surface planted seeds such as lettuce moist in the greenhouse, since we are not on the site every day to water. So we will be constructing self watering planters out of salvaged five gallon buckets, starting seeds in them, and then transplanting the seedlings into the beds. This way the surface layer drying out will not be quite such a concern.
We made our first planting at this meeting: some lettuce in a sheet mulch bed in our greenhouse. Inside the greenhouse, we covered the bed with some row cover material. We were surprised at how difficult it was to attach the frame work containing our automatic vent to the hoop house, but we got it finished in the end. There still needs to be some finishing of the plastic at the entrance and around the vent. We also did some planning for our fence, and started to turn and rebuild our compost pile.
I will post some pictures as soon as I can.